Guaranteeing safety, preventing risks and providing top-class assistance to injured participants are the top priorities of the rally Organisers. As such, we find it important to again set out the available health coverage, insurance policies taken out by the Organisers on your behalf, plus a compulsory insurance policy and others that are optional but highly recommended. The main aim is to explain the coverage available to everyone so you can make sure it complements your personal insurance or, if necessary, buy extra insurance.
1) Emergency/Repatriation Assistance: included with your registration
The Organiser takes out this insurance policy on behalf of the participants (included in the registration fee).
ASO has chosen Mutuaide —a Groupama subsidiary— for emergency/repatriation assistance coverage. It covers those cases in which you may sustain a bodily injury during the rally and, in the eyes of the medical team of the event, are unable to continue the rally.
The Organiser shall cover medical and hospital fees incurred in agreement with the medical Director of the rally up to a maximum of €30,000.
Your personal insurance (and you) shall be liable for fees beyond this amount.
/ ! \ READ CAREFULLY: Extract from the medical and hospital fee limits / ! \
We strongly advise you to:
- read carefully the terms and conditions of the contract attached hereto in order to understand the scope and limits of the coverage;
- review the scope of your personal insurance (and in particular insurances provided by your sport licenses) and, if it is not adequate, it is strongly advised to buy extra medical insurance to cover medical and hospital fees; it can be combined with Individual Accident Insurance.
2) Vehicle Civil liability insurance: included with your registration
The Organiser has taken out Public Liability insurance which covers your Automobile Public Liability towards third parties.
This insurance covers bodily injury, material and/or immaterial damage caused by your vehicle to any third parties during your participation in the Dakar Rally.
This insurance only covers the official rally route.
Private tests not arranged by the Organiser and driving / co-driving (with guests) are not covered by this insurance and are therefore your responsibility.
In the event of an automobile accident, Saudi liability regimes and law apply.
- Compensation for material damage and bodily injury is based on fault (negligence, lack of caution/recklessness or failure to comply with Saudi Traffic Laws or other regulations);
- The scope of insurance coverage and the compensation amounts are lower than Western standards;
- In the event of criminal proceedings, you will need to be accompanied by a Saudi lawyer (chosen and paid for by you, in coordination with the organisation).
- Automobile Public Liability insurance does not cover material damage to the insured vehicle;
- In the event of an at-fault accident or one with no identified third party, the damage suffered by the driver of the vehicle is not covered by this insurance; this is why we strongly recommend that you take out Individual Accident insurance;
- If you are the victim of an accident with a local third party, it is your responsibility to operate yourself a claim against the insurer of the vehicle responsible, by calling on a Saudi lawyer (in coordination with the organisation).
The details (period of coverage, amounts of coverage, exclusions, etc.) of this insurance can be found in the Rally Regulations.
Vehicles that are not shipped on the Organiser's ferries or travel outside the context of the rally (e.g. before and after the event) shall mandatorily have local insurance taken out by their owners.
Vehicles loaded in the Port of Marseille must imperatively be covered by their own insurance (green insurance card) until the port.
3) Optional complementary Medical Expenses and Individual Accident insurances: strongly recommended
Your personal insurances usually excludes participation in a rally raid.
We therefore advise you to consult your sport federations and insurers on your existing coverage that applies to participation in sports competitions.
Note the importance of taking out Individual Accident insurance. Should you suffer a serious accident during the rally, this will provide you with fixed allowances.
We strongly advise you to have a Medical Expenses cover that will guarantee the reimbursement of your medical fees incurred in Saudi Arabia, in agreement with the Medical Director of the rally beyond €30,000 provided by the Organiser. This insurance may be included in your sports drivers’ membership licence or subscribed with the insurer of your choice.
- The Organiser of the rally shall cover medical fees incurred in agreement with the Medical Director and prior to any repatriation up to a maximum of 30,000 euros. Your personal Medical Expenses cover would complement this.
- Injuries that can be treated in situ or do not prevent you from travelling alone are excluded from repatriation coverage. We remind you that the obligation to withdraw from the rally does not imply that the Organiser will cover repatriation costs.
Take out additional insurance from WTW https://landingpages.grassavoye.com/rally-dakar-2023-en/ – Ask for your quote without obligation
4) Optional Marine insurance: strongly recommended
The compensation paid out for damage to vehicles during their maritime transportation is particularly low compared to the vehicles’ value. You are therefore strongly advised to take out extra insurance to receive compensation more adequate to your vehicle’s value.
Take out additional insurance from WTW https://landingpages.grassavoye.com/rally-dakar-2023-en/ Ask for your quote without obligation.
Buying these extra insurances allows you to get better coverage and adapt it to the risks of rally raids.
You can take out these policies from your preferred insurer or broker or by reviewing the coverage offered by Gras Savoye to guide you and streamline the process. You can take out these policies straight away on the broker's website or by sending a letter directly to WTW (https://landingpages.grassavoye.com/rally-dakar-2023-en/).
Any accident must be reported to the Organisers of the rally within 24 hours. No compensation based on Vehicle Civil Liability insurance or medical insurance may be applied if this is not done.
We hope you will find this briefing note useful for increasing or adjusting your insurance coverage. You will find additional information in the Official Regulations of the 2023 Rally.
Now that you understand the potential risks of the 2023 Dakar Rally and the coverage provided by the Organisers, we advise you to check the coverage of your personal, insurances and, if they are inadequate, to take the necessary steps to make sure you are not ill-protected.